What are the real costs of child abuse? Let’s put aside the following:
1) Medical expenses for abused children
2) Legal expenses to pursue, arrest, and incarcerate child abusers
3) Therapy for their victims
4) Therapy for themselves
5) The costs of medicines
6) The social burdens
7) The costs to the families of abused children (special need therapies and stuff).
8) The cost to the family members (co-jointed therapy; support and things).
and lets add in the following:
1) The cost of therapy for abuse survivor victims
2) The cost of their drugs*
*in this cost remember: the drug companies are busily making drugs to keep up with the new supply/demands laws: they are ‘putting aside’ their resources (eg. developing an anti-cancer drug) in order to devote resources towards more and better psycho-tropic drugs. ….
“Hey, wanna drug to cure that cancer of yours? Oh! Well. Oops and sorry . . . we spent our millions of dollars coming up with a new drug to work on your depression . . . and oh, by the way …. you mind spending a few extra hundred dollars on your prescriptions this year? We need more money funding this one (research and development) . . . on this antipsychotropic thing. And no – it’s not going to benefit you (or anyone perhaps; depending upon FDA approvals) . . . it’s just ‘for fun’.” (and profit motive; eg greed of course.)
3) The loss of productivity. I can’t work; not in a ‘real job’ (physical conditions; not the mental ones). But even in my ‘real job’ – these things affected me; affected my performance; affected my ‘ratios’.
4) The other loss of productivity: sick calls and things. (“I’m feeling too depressed to really go in right now . . . I think I’m gonna be calling in ‘sick’.” – and calling in with ‘the flu’ or something … because depression’s not an excuse in this thing.)
5) Insurance costs: Hey! We got ‘em. Or used to, anyway. Before insurance dropped our ass (not enough bucks? No problem! We’re just gonna throw you to the wolves…..). But don’t you think my psycho-therapy issues cost them some money? You bet they did! Driving up the prices for everybody all around – everyone in the ‘system’.
6) Plain old “Supply and Demand”. Mental illness have an effect on supply and demand. Whutta gonna do? Just shoot them? (thinkin’ – quite sourly right in here; and all about us I’m thinking – ‘it sure would be cheaper in the long run … and the short run as well. Hell, a bullet only costs thirtyfive cents ….”) Might drive up the cost of ammunition for a short time … but then we’d all be dead. Might as well let the abusers go on abusing each other …. and leaving US the hell alone.
10) Oh, and shall we mention the ‘family costs’ again? What about those costs for undoing damage – say, the costs of those ointments and things (bandages, etc – including razor blades) – that it used to cost me to ‘get things better’ – meaning undoing the damage that cutting can bring.
11) Oh, and by the way again … how about the costs to my daughter and things? Isn’t she (isn’t there a good chance, anyway?) going to need some therapy sometimes? After all, we were ‘abusing her’ in our own kind of way …. letting a child of 8 and 10 know her daddy was cutting and suicidal in some way …. tell ME that ain’t a heavy cost to bear! (Already she’s got some bulimia issues; and despite a kind and caring heart …. there’s a strange shallowness to her in some ways….)
12) Shall we mention the costs of divorce and things?? Those certainly have to bear the brunt work of our abuse issues and things. Not that I’ve become divorced … but I certainly should have … or might … or will . . . because of these damned abuse sort of issues. (especially the DID sort of thing.)
And more costs. Hidden costs. Ancient costs. Blood money.
All because of our damned abusers.
This things gotta end.
(sad again. we are having much problems with sadness and anger again. This is not a good thing. But oh well . . . we keep on trying…
the urge to cut … we haven’t been bothered that much for years in this sort of thing…..and yet there it is. Writhing; dying; too many parts … wrestling for control… that’s the life of an unhealed DID patient sometimes; and we’ve got so much to heal …. wondering if it can be done.)
Stuck in a rut. LOL’ing. LO craziness going on.